Thread: Phil Collins
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Phil Collins

Good Evening everyone, first time posting here and I wanted it to be on my favorite Rock oriented drummer. I managed to read the small amount of replies to this post and truly not surprised that many are not familiar with Phil's drumming asides for those that posted here.

As a drummer, Phil is highly distinctive in his hybrid style of playing. The mention of Phil's playing from 1974 through 1980, but to hear Phil playing live, now that is a different story. There is a reason why many of Genesis peers and his teammates thought him as the most musical member of Genesis, his drumming took the often stoic music of Genesis to different heights. And as great of a drummer Chester Thompson is, you could tell Phil takes over the song. But getting back to Phil's drumming you have the superb Genesis Live and the Brand X's Livestock but being a major Genesis fan, to truly appreciate how devastaing a drummer Phil was during the 70's, you must seek out Genesis' bootlegs from Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and really see how great this guy was.

Phil is one of the few drummers from the UK Prog scene that possessed a soulful quality of to his drumming.

Last edited by Chuck AzEee!; 11-16-2011 at 02:42 AM.