Thread: John Bonham
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:42 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by helldrummer
whatever.. that is bullcrap... i've heard john bonham's triplets and they are great but no.. just.... NO. you can't say he is "better or maybe faster" than most double pedal users...... i am so frickin' sick of all you boring little single pedal players who are like "aw well i can make my single pedal sound like a double by mixing it up with the floor tom" etc. or "i use heel-toe technique" or whatever (try using heel-toe on two pedals).. ..just admit it: for heavy music you can't beat the sound that a good double pedal or double bass drum player can punch out.
listen to virgil donati, danny carey or raymond herrera.. or tim alexander from primus
Tim Alexander probably isn't that great an example. Much of his stuff is achievable without a double pedal, I don't doubt that somebody like Zach Hill of Hella could play most of that fairly accurately without resorting to two feet. Tim does a lot of triplet phrases between the hands and feet with each foot only playing a single stroke on each bass drum pedal, that kind of stuff is easily replicated with a single pedal. Not that he isn't an awesome drummer, of course. I bought a double pedal because of him, and then gave up because I realised that all the stuff that was awesome about him didn't really need one.

This deserves to be on another thread, and indeed there is a thread for it, but here's the deal: If you play music that needs a double pedal then you need one. But the reality is that for most music you quite simply can get the same end result by mixing it up with the toms and heel-toe techniques. It's only really when you get into the land of constant double kick or rudimental work with the feet that you start needing the other foot to come into play.

I do agree that Bonham's foot would probably not be considered particularly fast by modern standards though. He had great power and control over both his dynamics and his beat placement with his right foot, but I don't think that he's a great candidate to stand up to the likes of Zach Hill or Jo Jo Mayer on the single foot speed front.