Thread: Oz rock!
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
... Flock Of Seagulls ... one hit wonders ... The Men (as we fondly referred to them here) were the first MTV era band proper (that had staying power).
Ha - Flock of Seagulls - such a haircut band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
i meant Crowded House. not Split Enz. i know there is a connection and i often get them confused. ...Split Enz were more talked about than heard, but i'm sure they have quite a following here
Both bands feature Neil Finn. At first Split Enz was lead by his brother, Tim Finn, and they were quirky, zany and a little bit prog. Then Neil took over and they started playing Beatlesque pop (and had commercial success). Then Neil took his Beatle revival thing into his own band, Crowded House. Amazed at how much Oz music you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Was holding off as it was a "rock" thread. But considering you're the thread starter and have introduced it, a few more for you:

Kevin Borich...with or without The Express....great bluesman.
No need to hold off - I should have called it Oz (and NZ) music in hindsight.

I saw Kevin Borich Express HEAPS of times and had the Celebration album - the best lineup was a trio with John Annas on drums and Tim Partridge on bass. John Annas was my face drummer at the time. Awesome lineup - example http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Celebration/6123801.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
... Don't think I've seen Mental As Anything mentioned either. Another good Aussie pub rock band. They had a couple of "odes to the bottle" in Too Many Times and The Nips Are Getting Bigger, that were always a bit of fun.
I shouldn't have missed that - I used to cover Nips in the late 80s/early 90s. My fave Mental track was Berserk Warriors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpu12PXG4rA

Never saw them live - did you?