View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Default Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

How long have you been playing: Just started.

Origin of user name: My initials.

Your top 5 drummers: Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, Steve Gadd, Steve Smith. I'm actually an old deadhead (loved Jerry, still miss him), but I never really got into those drums-space parts, so I can't list Bill or Mickey.

Make of drumkit: Don't have one yet. Just practice pads.

Make of cymbal: Don't have one yet.

Where do you practice: At home in our sunroom.

Are you in a band: Nope.

Do you play covers or originals: Would exercises from Stick Control be considered covers or originals?

What style of music: Technique exercises, rudiments. Is that a style?

Favorite take out food: Chili cheeseburger from Carney's on Sunset.

What country do you live in: USA (Cambridge, MA. I know, pretty far from Carney's.)

One really odd fact about yourself: Well, it's not so much odd, but a family relationship that I'm very proud of... My grandfather was Jack Benny. So I should be funny or play violin, but neither applies.

How did you start drumming: I've always loved drums and like to watch drummers in shows, but growing up, I never learned any sort of musical instrument. Now I have 3 young children (all boys), and we're making music education mandatory. My 7-year-old started guitar about 6 months ago; my 6-year-old just started keyboard; and my 4-year-old will start something next year, and so far, he's leaning towards drums. With all that going on, my wife and I decided to join in, so she's learning guitar and me drums.

So here I am at the age of 47 just getting started on drums. So far, I'm self teaching, though I do plan to get an instructor. I definitely need it. I've also, so far, focused just on technique, practicing on pads with a metronome. I do plan to get a kit soon, but I have to say that I've gotten pretty obsessed with technique and rudiments. For me, it's surprisingly fun, and I can spend amazing amounts of time just doing practice exercises. I've bought pretty much every technique DVD and book out there, and many of them are very good.

Mainly, I've been following the lesson plan in Mark Wessels "A Fresh Approach to the Snare Drum," and I supplement that with exercises from books (especially "Stick Control" and "Syncopation") and imitation of technique from DVDs (especially Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands"). Great stuff. Great fun!

-- Bobby