View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Default Re: School vs. Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm a trainee teacher so I'm going to go out on a limb here and explain a few things.

When you're at school (before University) it is expected that teachers are able to create an environment that you can learn in easy, with provisions for multi-sensory learning, differentiated tasks, summative assessment and regular progress monitoring because the students are in foundation stages and have to interest students in a wide range of subjects.

At University, this doesn't actually happen very often. You're delivered content and expected to understand it. The lecturer is not necessarily there to get you interested in the subject (that should be a given, seeing as you're studying at that level) and is instead teaching as only part of their job. The rest of their job is usually administration and research. So, you won't find many lecturers that create a learning environment because that's quite simply, not their job. It's your problem if you're not interested, not their problem. If you get a lecturer that's interested, they might make the environment more interesting but they're not expected to and you're not going to be told everything. They cannot cover half of what they would like to in the sessions allotted, so it's up to you.

The only exception is on teaching courses where they are teaching you how to teach. That becomes inherent in the student experience but not on other courses.
Where have I said that I am not interested in my music class? If I have, I am willing to correct myself by saying that is the second most interesting class I am currently taking- the first is my jazz history class.

I understand this very well, but I believe you are missing the point as well: You are given a notebook, which is a portfolio of terms important to a survey class. You are told these are the only things you need to know, because there is much unnecessary information within the material presented. Yet, you are tested on material you are told not to review? Is this the right kind of teaching? I could be wrong, but to me it seems bogus, even in my case where I study subjects within the class in addition to what is necessary.