View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Re: School vs. Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
That's because now you're in college you're not being taught to pass exams, you should have already known all the definitions that were required for any of the 4 tests, not just one of them. When you're at lectures, you have to note down anything you think will be of importance for the test at the end of it, no matter how quickly the lecturer might go through them. Universities have to cram a lot of stuff into your head in a short space of time and as such can't go into massive detail about every little thing you need to know for the test. You should have gone and read a book on the subject and done every example and got every question in the relavent sections of those books right and if you got anything wrong, taken it to your tutor to ask how to do it, but not before you tried looking anywhere else you could for guidance on how to do it. That's how you start to learn things on your own. No good blaming other people just because you were unable to complete the test, whichever one it may have been.

+1. Even if you do manage to come out of college with a decent grade, there is no way you'll ever get a job at the end of it with an attitude like that. Seriously, you need to get over yourself if you want to get anywhere, otherwise you'll just have to be happy with playing in dive bars every night for the rest of your life.
I think you're missing my point here again. Even though I made index cards for the terms, and not to mention go above and beyond in that music class by correctly applying the theories I learned within it, and talking to my teacher about it after every class (this is my favorite class here), the tests were bogus. It had nothing to do with me "knowing everything mentioned"- especially when it is advocated by my teacher that we should not create dense notes because it is only a survey class. I've been in college for three years, I know how to learn on my own. It's been this way since middle school, especially because my parents have not had the opportunity I had. I'm not surprised that you assume I am not an adequate student... It's very understandable when you have an entire institution you can take sides with. Anyway, my point is that the tests were purposefully made bogus. Here is further description of the example that I'm expecting you to justify...

One session of this class, my teacher asks everyone if they read the book. It was a surprisingly simple 4 pages. I do the readings every night, and enjoy it. I did the readings for that day as well. But most of the class did not. She got angry at the class and literally skipped through the material because she told them they should have read. It did not bother me because I knew every term she went through like the back of my hand. The class after the test is done, she tells us that one of the tests had two terms from the day the class did not read, because she and a teacher of another section of the same subject had asked their class if they had read on the same day and came to the conclusion they should put terms from that reading on the test (I guess you could say out of spite, or to teach a lesson). Seems fair to me, except these terms are NOT on the book we use to write definitions worth knowing (survey class), which is a notebook pre-filled with terms and space to write definitions for each. I have enough humility to understand that readings are important, so I ignore the fact that some people (who are not serious about school) could care less to go back and read for a midterm... This was not the case in my sphere of studying, but what pisses me off is that not all tests were created equally. I am really excited to see how you justify this one, because an analogy that fits well with this scenario is being given a glass of salt to quench your thirst with. No way that's gonna get you anywhere in life but make things worse for you, unless you don't drink it ;-). I don't think you understand that teachers have the ability to make a test difficult, and by difficult, I mean by purposefully confusing their students. This is great and innovative in promotion of critical thinking, but if you want critical thinking, you you prepare them for it and teach them how to think critically, you don't risk their grades and future by purposefully putting things up to chance and saying "Hey, lets make 3 tests with material we studied in class, and one test with two terms that no one will know. Yeah, that's very productive in teaching our students about music theory and history." Their grades depend on these surprises and trick questions. Students come to college to learn and become good employees. This confusion comes up in life careers, and it's great to know how to think critically, but that gives no teacher the right to go out of their way to purposefully make some people fail by chance. It would have made much more sense if these two terms were put on everyone's test. It is m opinion, but in this scenario the different tests are clearly not fair, seeing that the tests were NOT created equally. My teacher agreed with me, which is why she let me have the high grade instead of a failing grade after I retook my test and proved my point and case. That said, I'm done with having to argue my reasoning. Though, it would be interesting to see you go against both my teacher and I at once.

Last edited by pxavier; 10-26-2011 at 06:14 PM.