View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: School vs. Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post

I got my BS to do real science and engineering. They got their BS in engineering to do business. I feel like that devalues my BS, because they are going to forget 80% of what they learned in school for business knowledge they pick up on the job, and then go out and flaunt their BS in engineering like they can still size a piston shaft, design a PID controller, solve differential equations, etc. Its like people with a top of the line gear that can't keep time. They are out out looking hip and cool on stage, but they need to trade in those drums for some lessons.

There are definitely exceptions. Not saying everyone/everywhere is like this.

How did this get so off topic? lol. Sorry.
I think it is good for the OP to really get a full sense of what he is dealing with. As far as your post, I didn't stay in engineering but from what I know about the field from close friends who are, if you don't keep up with your skills and get into the business or the management side, you become unhirable as an engineer after a very short time regardless of your degree simply because you didn't stay on top of the new technology.