View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: School vs. Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Whoa! I think you guys are misinterpreting what groove1 was saying with that quote. In fact, I think you have his point exactly backwards.

What he meant, and I've read it before, is that it used to be that a high school diploma was enough to get you by, but there are a lot more people with degrees these days so the advantage of having one isn't quite as strong as it used to be. But that is not to say that the quality of the university education itself is any worse now and only what a HS diploma used to be. That's just faulty logic that may well haunt you in due course.

If anything, a master's is the new bachelor's.
Personally I thought the first year was far too easy. Nothing we learned in our first year was much more complex than what we learned for our A-levels (that's like the equivalent of high school diploma in this country). The university said this was to get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet or what have you, to be honest if they improved their entry requirements then this wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you should be in trade school studying to be a mechanic. Designers and engineers don't typically do the level of hands on that techs do. That's just not what it's about.
Pretty much this. I think you sound a bit like one of my friends at uni, he worked as a mechanic for a few years before coming to uni (doesn't have any A levels) and was expecting to get paid loadsamoney as a graduate engineer pretty much doing exactly what he was doing in the garage. He found out to his detrement that this was far from the case and has struggled a lot as a result.

EHs Music Facebook Page