View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: School vs. Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
A BS degree today is what a high school diploma was in the 1940's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I've got to agree with that. Unfortunately university these days is just a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxavier View Post
Otherwise, I agree as well. This is why I hate college. It's a load of bull...
Whoa! I think you guys are misinterpreting what groove1 was saying with that quote. In fact, I think you have his point exactly backwards.

What he meant, and I've read it before, is that it used to be that a high school diploma was enough to get you by, but there are a lot more people with degrees these days so the advantage of having one isn't quite as strong as it used to be. But that is not to say that the quality of the university education itself is any worse now and only what a HS diploma used to be. That's just faulty logic that may well haunt you in due course.

If anything, a master's is the new bachelor's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxavier View Post
This edit makes A LOT more sense. I view engineering as cog-school central... I thought it would be more hands on, but no, it's Dilbirt with the maybe-quirk of getting to see your design built, for the needs of a corporation. At least you have the right mind man. I'm a junior now, I stopped cause I couldn't pass Thermodynamics, and neither could about 3/8 of my class... That, and it depressed me. I only got to see one gear at school. And it was wonderful 20 second moment.
Sounds to me like you should be in trade school studying to be a mechanic. Designers and engineers don't typically do the level of hands-on that techs do. That's just not what it's about.