View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Default Re: School vs. Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I've got to agree with that. Unfortunately university these days is just a joke. Someone in my class (2nd year, Mechanical Engineering degree) didn't know whether "ambient temperature" meant 20C or 100C. Given that we don't tend to do tutorial classes in saunas I thought it would have been pretty obvious for someone who may have lives depending on his technical expertese in future. How the hell half the people in my yeargroup even manged to get onto a degree course, let alone make it into the second year, i just do not know. No wonder one of the other lecturers has to give us classes in how to get a job. It's not about being capable any more, it's about how well you can write a piece of paper and bullshit your way through countless numbers of applications, tests, screenings and interviews.
... I don't know what ambient temperature is either... I'm sorry I'm a drummer and not a scientist? I think you should stop judging people based off one instance. Before I studied Environmental Science (Biology BS), I was a mechanical engineer because I wanted to learn about cars and the operations within and without them. I didn't choose the major because I already knew a lot about "ambient temperatures". I wanted to learn about them... Not everyone is built the same.

Otherwise, I agree as well. This is why I hate college. It's a load of bullshit. The other day I failed a test so I complained to the teacher and made my point, which was that the definitions on the test were not the same as in the textbook, and my test was covered in terms the professor did not emphasize in lecture. The professor knows I study hard and well and am at tentative in class, so the professor gave me another version of the test to do (four versions so people won't cheat), and I literally finished it in 5 minutes, and got 100%. THIS IS A TRUE STORY. HAPPENED TWO WEEKS AGO. Now, with that in mind, think of how many kids could have aced their tests, but failed because they had the "wrong version"... I don't see why they don't give professors the elementary school jobs and vice versa. It seems that teachers get worse and worse the higher your level of education...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I've got to agree with that. Unfortunately university these days is just a joke. Someone in my class (2nd year, Mechanical Engineering degree) today (after turning up 1/4 h late) didn't know whether "ambient temperature" meant 20C or 100C. Given that we don't tend to do tutorial classes in saunas I thought it would have been pretty obvious for someone who somehow managed to pass the first year of a degree course in something as technical as mechanical engineering. How the hell half the people in my yeargroup even manged to get onto a degree course, let alone make it into the second year, i just do not know. No wonder one of the other lecturers has to give us classes in how to get a job, or rather he tells us how bloody difficult it is to get a job these days. It's not about being capable any more, it's about how well you can write a piece of paper and bullshit your way through countless numbers of applications, tests, screenings and interviews.

Good that you want to do something different mate. Personally I don't know what I want to do once I'm finished my degree. I don't feel as if I want to spend all that time and effort just to become another small cog in the corporate machine. I think you should keep at it though, as this poster above me has explained, at least having a degree gives you more of a choice if you ever decide to hang up the professional sticks.
This edit makes A LOT more sense. I view engineering as cog-school central... I thought it would be more hands on, but no, it's Dilbirt with the maybe-quirk of getting to see your design built, for the needs of a corporation. At least you have the right mind man. I'm a junior now, I stopped cause I couldn't pass Thermodynamics, and neither could about 3/8 of my class... That, and it depressed me. I only got to see one gear at school. And it was wonderful 20 second moment.

Last edited by pxavier; 10-24-2011 at 10:14 PM.