View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What does the sound guy do.

I'm a professional sound guy working for the Disney Company and our job is to take your sound and get it out to the audience. As a musician there I know that what it sounds like to the guys on stage is completely different from what the audience hears. Basically we try to make it sound as if you're listening to pre-recorded music, to make the listening experience as good as it can be for the audience. We control the levels of what YOU hear on stage (the monitoring situation) to make it comfortable for you as well. We usually have drum kits already provided, but when guys show up with theirn own, we do NOT force you to cut a hole in your front head. We're good enough to take what shows up and mix it. It sucks fro some players because everyone thinks the sound guy is this frustrated musician who doesn't know what he's doing, but as far as I, and my people go, we're all part of the IATSE union and we've all had training and like anything, the training never stops because the technology never stops.