View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Have you noticed how many YouTube comments on videos of older bands there are by young people saying how they wished they lived in the 60s/70s/80s? It's reached the point where people are treating those comments as an annoying cliche, like commenting on the Dislike Button score.

But it's not the kids' fault ... they really are being fed shovelfuls of rubbish by the majors.

It's hard for good young bands to get mainstream attention, what with old fart stars doing their 35th comeback tour, endless formulaic hip hop and pop on music videos, noise laws and gaming machines. Put a video on YouTube with a squillion others, competing with hilarious clips of Auntie Susan's dachshund farting and messy young people ranting at the camera, offering themselves up for some self-validating hate comments.

So the now bands don't get heard as much, giving the impression to the incurious that all there is out there is Rebecca Whatsername and FM classic rock.

All the same kind of crap was shoveled out by people my age when I started in the 60s. The "old farts" were doing their Pat Boone, Nat King Cole, Perry Como covers and us kids couldn't catch a break. Blah, blah, blah.
When today's "I want my own music and my own style" people get older they're going to hear complaints about those old techno farts making it hard for good young bands to get their mainstream attention.
The more it changes, the more it stays the same. And so it goes...

(It's kind of sad to me when I read comments by musicians that there's too much emphasis on professionalism.)