View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Opeth song leaked!

Great song so far!

Not sure how I feel about the "100% clean singing" part (quoted below)... But I'm sure it'll be fine.

What album to start with? I would vote for Still Life or Blackwater Park. But if you can't get past death metal vocals then it'll be tough. Damnation is great and all, but its just one album, and not really representative of the majority of their music. Well... I guess you could just wait for this one :)

DED, I know how you feel. I'm the same way with Dream Theater and especially Meshuggah.

Quote:
Swedish progressive metal stalwarts Opeth’s 10th album Heritage — which follows 2008′s Watershed and 2005′s Ghost Reveries — is their strangest, most genre-melding to date. For starters it includes guest spots from Swedish flautist/composer Björn J:son Lindh and Weather Report percussionist Alex Acuña. As you may have guessed, it also includes 100% clean singing. Main man Mikael Åkerfeldt refers to Opeth records as “observations.” Of this one he notes, “[i]t feels like I’ve been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19.” Fittingly, he says he listened to a bunch of Alice Cooper over the past year. There’s also something youthful about the exuberant blend of jazz upswings, “God is dead” lyrics, and stop-on-a-dime tempo shifts in lead single “The Devil’s Orchard.” On the album it follows the two-minute scene-setting opening piano piece “Heritage,” a song Åkerfelt says was inspired by Swedish jazz pianist Jan Johansson and Swedish folk music.