View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Amy Winehouse RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Would it have been "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long" by any chance? If so, they picked that saying up from Bladerunner :)

There does seem to be something to those who live with such fierce intensity, but without the self-discipline and self-awareness to keep things from spiralling out of control.
I would modify it to say, "Those who take drugs with no self-control live half as long." Drugs tamp down the flame and kill it; they do not make it burn any brighter because the source of flame is passion, persistence, creativity, intelligence, ambition and inspiration and these things are inexhaustible.

For every extraordinarily talented drug addict that becomes famous, there are thousands of addicts with no talent who die in obscurity. For every extraordinarily talented drug addict who becomes famous, there are hundreds of artists and performers just as famous and talented who keep their lives together. I see no romance in the tortured artist stereotype, just waste and ridicule. People who choke to death on their vomit certainly don't serve as a role model, ideal or source of inspiration for me.

Joe Morello lived with fierce intensity and burned brightly into his 80s, a productive and influential figure in music for many decades. That's what I'm talking about.