Thread: Words and spin
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Words and spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
As they say in jazz, it's what you do but the way that you do it.

I'm blown away by the amazing spin by Rebekah Brooks, CEO of News International (who own Fox, all the Murdoch press etc), who announced her resignation after the organisation was found to be bugging the phones of crime victims to get a scoop:
"I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt and I reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place," she said in a statement.

"I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However, my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate. This is now detracting from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past.
Doncha love it? She - an innocent victim of a few bad apples - is nobly sacrificing herself (after wanting to take responsibility) because people won't be able to understand how she could preside over a (so-called formerly) corrupt media organisation and not be aware of it.

I have never known a time when the public conversation domain was so full of lies, distortion and spin. Music is my respite ...
this belongs in the way off topic lounge but here is a spin example that makes my skin crawl. for the last few months, our Congress and President can't seem to agree on how to balance the budget. About three months ago, they threatened to close down all but essential services to in the government. One of those services is the civilian office that writes out pay checks for military, Air Force, Army, Marines, Coast Guard, Navy.

Right now, there are lots of people overseas doing dangerous stuff. Most are paid pretty well, but the younger ones sometimes live paycheck to paycheck. If they shut the government down, there is a huge delay in getting soldiers paid. I saw real fear in their eyes: "Look sir, we wont have rent money if my check is late".

The spin part is when the Poli's get on TV and make their case that is the other parties fault. The line that makes my skin crawl is when the open their diatribe with the following:

"First, I just want to say that we have to do everything we can to make our military secure and support those serving in harms way"......

OK, now that I said I honor the military, the next 20 minutes of vitriol that pours from my pie hole if free game, I can say anything I want, do anything I want, block, tackle, argue, not get the budget done but its OK because I said I support the troops.

Down here we have an expression that I hope nobody ever says about any of us: "Bless his/her heart". You know that whatever comes next after BHH is going be rough. Bless his heart, that boy is so stupid, ugly, dumb, wrong, jerk.... What ever. Bless his heart is a spin, a prep that precedes a tail whooping.

My other favorite spin is when celebs apologize on their way into rehab for sex, drugs, alchohol, assholism, and all the other ism's. Hey just go to rehab, your popularity will go up. All the in-crowd is doing it.

Well all I can say is: Bless their hearts.