View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Double Bass Left Foot Strength

What really helped me was just doing a few simple. yet effective things.

First I would say get a metronome of some kind, and practice just keeping simple patterns with only your double kick. This will warm you up, and start building endurance and dexterity. The key is to start slower and build up when you feel comfortable. In a few weeks, you will notice a huge difference for sure.

Secondly, and this is the most important, start playing with people that challenge you to play more advanced then perhaps you are. When I first got into playing metal, the double kick was something I had never even owned, but my band mates urged me to purchase one. Playing in a rehearsal setting was the best thing that I ever did for my drumming. You can really start developing aspects of your drumming that you never thought you could. For me, I could really start seeing matched foot strength after about a month of two of playing.

Thirdly, I used to sometimes challenge myself by playing a groove using my left foot instead of my right. It feels awkward and is pretty difficult, but it really helps you to develop rhythm in your left foot.

Also, your pedals are really nice! If I could get compliments for my playing, using shitty $80 pedals, I am sure you are going to be killing it soon. -Grant