Thread: BREAKING STICKS
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: anybody hit this hard?

[quote=NUTHA JASON]

anyone who claims they never break sticks because they always use the 'right' techniques has seriously not experienced the live drumming of many pros. depending on the style and song a pro drummer will often get through some sticks in a single performance.

Well, kind of true? I don't break sticks, period. Most of my sticks make it about 3 to 4 three hour sets before I swap them out (shoulder getting whittled down to dangerously close to breaking). I use anything from 7a's to 747s.

Carter Beauford, though, on DMB vids is seen going through a couple pairs of sticks every 3 or 4 songs. (With his sig. stick which is roughly a 747, or a between 5a/b). They start to break and he just chucks it and grabs a new one.

My complaint is guys who break sticks with one or two hits. Pounding the drum versus playing the drum.

Think of cymbalsfearme's picture, and I think that is more normal. The other picture with fraying wood looks common too, but the rim shot marks are way down where my fingers would be! Yikes.