View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Just ranting about "Fast Food" style bands (the kind im in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
There's two issues in this thread. The sub-genres I'll leave to you guys.

I think if you get out and try to set up with some more likeminded people, you'll be happier for it.
These two comments sum it up for me. I'm not a metal fan but I think the metal subgenres are great fun - had a good laugh when PQ posted "pirate metal".

As someone who'd always thought of metal as Black Sabbath I admit to liking some doom after Frosty sent me a link the group called Virgin Black, who include a lot of beautiful melodies and textures amongst the grunt.

As for the topic, it's always tricky to find a group where everyone is enough on the sae page for longer term compatibility. Most times my bands have lasted a few years before paths start diverging, so I've not found that Holy Grail. There are members of this forum who have given up on bands altogether for this reason and instead work as a hired gun.

Still, sometimes a style will grow on you. I wasn't keen on my current band's music when I started but now I really enjoy playing all lazy, slow, mellow old person shite :) It took me a while but I realised out it's a very different approach, where you try to create beauty more than excitement (although you still need a bit of sting).

So, if you're open to new experiences, compromising your tastes to suit someone else's can push you into new approaches and make you a more rounded musician.