View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Just ranting about "Fast Food" style bands (the kind im in)

Just to get it out of the way let me just say that I don't like metal (or any of it's bazillion sub-genres), I've never liked metal, and the whole idea of metal has always kind of bugged me for whatever reason. Okay, there are a few that I've secretly admired, but for the purpose of this discussion, let's pretend I hate the whole lot. None of that matters anyway because that's not really what this is about.

What I'm hearing from the OP is that it sucks to have some vision for what constitutes rewarding artistically-motivated music only to have that vision undermined by people who are more entrepreneurial being primarily motivated by monetary success than they are concerned about creating something meaningful enough for them to want to be buried with it. I get that, and it does suck.

I've turned down lots of bands because they just wanted to do Ramones-meets-Guns N Roses hybridized generic fast-food rock (love the "fast food rock" line so consider it stolen) because they can book Saturday night shows at the good clubs with it. There's no room in any of that for putting your stamp on anything and there really isn't anything there worth putting a stamp on anyway.

I feel your pain and despite that we play different genres, this thing plays out over the whole music spectrum. If your soul is telling you to get out of the fast food biz, then do it.