View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How much do lyrics matter to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Oohh....I do really really dislike Dungeon & Drangons and Lord of the Rings inspired lyrics.
I quite like them - because I don't pay attention. You hear "The winds of Thor are blowing cold" and you immediately have permission to focus on a spacey keyboards and vocal effects because you won't miss a damn thing :)

I first read LOTR not long before the movies (lucky timing) so I didn't have a clue what the song was about for years, yet I still felt a sense of drama when RP sang "They hold no quarter" with that big riff going on. Still one of my fave Zep songs.

And that - most times - sums up the relationship between singers and drummers. We're like the family dog, totally in there and acutely responsive to the emotional tenor of what's going on with the family, but our relationship with what's going on is far more amorphous and primal than that of the vocalist.

Larry said the vocalist and drummer being the emotional heart of a band and I agree. The drums paint emotions with a broad brush so, if a singer expresses whimsical melancholy we'll express "quiet and reserved". Where the vocalist expresses exuberant hopefulness we'll express the exuberant part, just like a family dog would.

It's a primal instrument, and that's a large part of its appeal.