View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: How much do lyrics matter to you?

Wow I'm officially flabbergasted.

Expounding ignorance of something as a good thing is just backwards in my book. John Coltrane doesn't fit in this discussion, there's no lyrics there.
This discussion obviously centers around music w/ lyrics, free jazz doesn't figure into it.
Lyrics can ONLY detract from a song? Surely this is a joke. I can't believe you mean that. (Dance music exempted) If you can sing along perfectly to a song without understanding it's meaning, why are you proud of that? That makes me think unflattering things about you. Lyrics are just a string of syllables? Smokey Robinson would take exception there, and so do I. Do you feel the same about The Bard? Dylan didn't get famous on his lyrics alone? What was it then? His looks? His voice? His playing?
A big part of feeling music is realizing and understanding what's being said so you can reflect that in your drumming. The drummer/vocalist connection is something that is very intimate. if you don't care what's being said, you can't possibly be playing the song as thoughtfully as you could be. As a vocalist, wouldn't you want your drummer to understand what you are trying to express? Think of it from THAT perspective. Totally discounting the drummer/vocalist connection...what a monumental oversight. I'm sorry but this is the kind of attitude that gives drummers a bad name.

Please don't take this personal, think of it like we're on a debate team. We definitely have opposite views, which is OK. I respect your opinions as yours, but definitely can't agree with them.

Last edited by larryace; 06-10-2011 at 05:29 PM.