Thread: Eloy Casagrande
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: 14 year old drummer who made me weep.

Yeah...seeing something like this sure makes you take stock of you own playing. It also makes you aware of your own limitations. I've taken up playing again at 44 after many years away from it and it is somewhat disheartening to realize that I will never in my lifetime even come close to matching that kind of technical skill. Apart from the fact that what we are looking at here with Eloy is more than just hours of practice, as I mentioned in an earlier post this boy simply has a gift. I could practice 10 hours a day for the next 10 years and not come close to matching him, and that is probably true for 99% of people on this forum. But that is my point. I don't have the ability to practice 8 to 10 hours a day on drumming...first I have to work for a living...and second my wife would throw me out of the house if that was all I did when I was home.

So where does that leave most of us?...well I guess it's the old cliche of being the best that you can be. I know there is more to drumming then speed and chops but I think a lot of the time we just pull out that reasoning when we have been humbled by seeing someone like Eloy play.

For you youngsters out there who can still dream the dream of approaching that kind of technical skill my hat is off to you...now get down in the basement and get to work. I wish I had...