Thread: Swearing Fines
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Swearing Fines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
I am sure "Big Brother" would have better things to do than stop people from swearing

..."good heavens!...we can't have that sort of debauchery happening"...

...no, this swearing matter is down to the courts and the police system

Anyhow, nineteen eighty-four and the last half of the twentieth century demonstrated how well you can control people by controlling the language, although people can thing outside of the confines of their language, language does shape thought to some extent.

I have heard a pithy quote somewhere:

"How do you tame a dragon?"
"Give it a name"

Swearing is part of most languages, but the attitude to swearing is different to different cultures, age groups, social groups etc.

Like I said, I doubt a police officer would do this kind of thing...unless they were really p****d at someone.
Yes, I think it's only going to be used when the police are cranky ... for now. What I don't like is that it could be used against civil disobedience because in those kinds of emotionally charged situations people tend to swear and this law makes it easy to shut them down.

Yep, I do think the real drivers of policy - big biz - care about it. Street loudmouths are bad for tourism, property prices in affected neighbourhoods ... and there are other costs.