View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 12:40 AM

Default Re: What ever happened to music...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Man, I just can't get on board with that. But I guess I don't quite get what you're classifying as "popular American music" since most music these days comes from just about everywhere (granted, English speaking countries for the most part, but not always)

I listen to quite a bit of "pop" music that is really great, although the vast majority of it has yet to make a dent in the pop culture - yet.

At the moment I'm listening to The Naked And Famous, who are from New Zealand, but could just as easily be from New York or Portland, Oregon. I "discovered" this band because of a single they have occasionally playing on my local big radio station. I thought it was a catchy tune so I stream their whole record on Rhapsody and it's really great; they're very talented songwriters.

TV On The Radio is another. They're from Brooklyn and while I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio, they have been on Letterman a few times. Speaking of Letterman, I'd never heard of At The Drive In until I saw them on his show, which led me to The Mars Volta, which I've never heard on the radio.

There are so many ways to come across new music that I like that sounds new and fresh to my ears. I'm 44 and I don't spend much time at all listening to classic rock or '90s alternative because it isn't new to me anymore.

I guess I get bored easily, and I'm okay with that.
I'm your same age. What I mean by "American Popular Music" is music who's roots come from New Orleans because of the slave trade,and music that grew out of European cultures but was born here - blues,jazz,country,rock, rap,gospel- and all of their derivatives have stood up,introduced themselves,said what they had to say...over. Now what we see is people trying to replicate those things in some way because that's what they think they're supposed to do. You can see and hear the weakness of it.

I do see some people here and there experimenting and pushing to search for a new sound,and that's good,very good, but I recognize it as experimentation and not the introduction of a new form of music. Yet.