View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Dave Grohl on "Wasting Light"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
The thing is that music is like art, and where it is perfectly acceptable to make your own art which is badly drawn and crap perspective with not very good shading or whatever for your own purposes that you think is great then that's fine if you're just looking at it yourself or with friends, but if you want to actually show the art at a gallery to the public then really it's got to be good. Or, if it's bad, it has to have been done by someone who is capable of really good artwork, but chose to do it badly for effect, knowing what "bad" aspects would work for the picture.
If DG had just been someone like you or me creating this stuff in his garage for the fun of it then obviously that's fine he can do that. But when you're trying to sell millions of records and probably more importantly than that actually telling the world how amazing you think this new album is from a production point of view, then actually if it has these mistakes in it (which are NOT subjective, as MFB said) then it's really not very good. If he'd been deliberately making it sound as bad as it does for effect then that would have been cool if the band had suited that sort of sound, but as far as i'm concerned i don't think they do. Going back to the artist thing, i don't think it was a bad production sound but done deliberately for effect. I think it just sounds bad full stop. Which i think is a shame.
I don't know about this. Dave Grohl obviously doesn't HAVE to sell millions of albums, and considering the whole project was for fun and turned into something huge, I'd still like to believe he's making albums for fun. If he were honestly trying to sell millions of albums, he would have done it in the studio he owns. I would guess the reasoning for doing it in his garage with tape was because it was...fun.

I think he intended to have it sound the way it does, and he's obviously capable of making a better quality recording (see other 7 albums). Plus, quite a few songs on Wasting Light fit a dirtier, lower-fi quality.