View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dave Grohl on "Wasting Light"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Despite the zealots at the studio wanting it to be all-analogue, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it may very well be the mastering at fault as usual. Probably brick-wall digital mastering. It ruined the last Metallica album (that and Lars) and it'll ruin a lot more albums in the years to come.
I think that might very well be it. That is pretty much how it sounds to me. Really overcompressed to the point that you're getting a lot of clipping on the louder parts. I'm not sure it's just that either. There are other points in the album where you can hear the fact that it was recorded in a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaymus View Post
My point is you don't know how this torrent was created, if they played the album and recorded it through a microphone or if it was ripped. It could be more or less identical if you're not an audiophile, or it could be like listening to a live album of a concert you were at and saying it sounds completely different because you stood somewhere else. Analog recordings are notorious for a degradation in sound quality overall. I remember reading interviews with Pink Floyd discuss how awesome their synthesizers sound while their recording and how disappointed they were that it was more or less gutted on tape.
If you're looking for crispness in the audio you're idea of "better" audio isn't going to be there, that's one of the reasons digital is used so much now.

Despite this, some people actually prefer vinyl to CD. Zaireeka could be ripped and programmed to play at the same time on the same pieces of hardware but you'd be depriving the album of it's central concept.

My recommendation is to not fight the lack of polish and embrace the rough aspects to understand what they were going for. It's fitting that it's Grohl and the over-produced sound in Nirvana's Nevermind was absolutely hated by the group compared to their other albums with rougher mixing and a 'grungier' feel.
So in other words you think he was intentionally trying to make it sound bad? Well that's fine, but why doesn't he just say that instead of trying to make it out that it's going to be the most awesome sounding thing ever?

EHs Music Facebook Page