Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

NAME:
DOUBLE BASS DRUMMING - JOE FRANCO
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING:
This is a must-have for double bass players. i've just started playing double bass and this is the best material i've seen. slightly dated but very applicable.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
any beginner to intermediate double bass drummer out there.
PUBLISHED BY:
warner videos.
DESCRIPTION:
okay, once you look past the funny facial expressions he pulls while drumming, the weird sound of his drums (1984 tuning!) and his slight speech impediment you find joe franco to be an amazing drum teacher. he is quick to the point and his explanations are excellent. he really gets you to understand what 8ths, 16ths and syncopation are and how they launch off the bass as an instrument. his way of showing how the exercises (and there are loads of them here) and talking you through them is unsurpassed. of course a lot of the d/bass material here is now a little dated but it is an excellent starting point into todays demands. he gives you lots of beats with tab and, while they belong to 80s metal riffs, they do strengthen your technique so you can play the stuff of the day. Studying him now is like a 70s rock drummer studying a jazz drummer from the 50s. There is so much there that can be customised once the skills have been aquired. he's not a show off...but a down to earth teacher with a lot to give. i hope to meet him one day.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw