View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Ya reckn?? I thought prog was more of a Gen X thing - the post Yes, KC, ELP crowd (who probably like those bands too).

Before playing, at times the DT guitarist would say "Let's rock!". Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Fred Frith or Chris Cutler would never say "let's rock" before playing. I would pay good money to see Bob Fripp say "Let's rock!" before starting a tune lol

At heart, DT are a rock'n'roll band, just a very, very complex one with some classical devices. Same with metal generally. It's different to the old stuff but it feels the same to me as it did 40 years ago - just a bunch of fun-loving, long-haired louts making a racket to the best of their ability :)

Nothing wrong with that of course (apologies, Jerry Seinfeld) ... in my teens some of my best friends were fun-loving, long-haired louts who made a racket to the best of their ability ...

Some of the old bands were explorers and took risks - sometimes for the worst, but they were more interested in trying things out and (hopefully) taking the fans with them. That's where Thomas L and Virgil D didn't fit ... they could have just played the parts but they tossed some different ideas out there to see if they'd take. Those guys weren't going to join a band that wanted straight performances for the fans.

Pretty amazing, really ... you'd imagine those maniacal arrangements would be enough to keep anyone challenged!
ELP had a movie that had live recordings of the first two albums. It was called "Rock n Roll Your Eyes." They always had a barrel house blues number on each album. Emerson was asked many times what kind of pianist he was. He would say some people ask if I'm a jazz pianist but I listen to Oscar Peterson and I don't come close. Some people ask if I'm a classical pianist, but at heart I'm a rock n roll pianist. Look at Roundabout, it's riff rock with some 'classical flourishes. Bill looks like he's having too much fun. In the end, it's gotta be fun.

Prog is often riff rock in 11. But prog was so many different things. You had Tangerine Dream or Egg. A big part of what we call classic prog was the classical influence. But much of that music at the time was progressive. If you look at the music of Zep or Purple, esp the earlier stuff, it's long form songs with classical flourishes. But a bigger part was the integration of genres. They could use instruments associated with other genres. Zep used a tabla on the first album. As much as you had classical rock, you had blues rock, folk rock, art rock or country rock, etc. That is progressive because genres are class, sexually and in America regionally defined. It brings people together who before hand had nothing in common. And then you had the emergence of a national style that everyone listened to, Kansas Boston, Styx.

In music there has been a general demise of classicism over the last 20 years, though I was reading that the Met Opera sold more tickets this season than any other. They have a Saturday broadcast of operas in movie theaters through out the States, at $25.00 a clip it brings in a lot of revenue. Many of the big stars are dead or retired, in orchestral music as well. There are always people to replace them. But populist figures like Bernstein, Pavorotti or Isaac Stern seem to be a thing of the past. So even classical music is more of a cult phenomena these days.

I would hope that would allow artists to take more risk and bring the fans along. I actually haven't been listening to DT because the newer heavier stuff is not interesting to me. But I started listening to Porcupine Tree with the heavier stuff. But then I go back and listen to someof it and it is really quite good. just takes me while to catch up, (uhh I think that's age.) I think in music you have to let go, and enjoy it for what it is, and if you can't let go, that ain't the music's fault. Prog requires a lot of that. It's not Jason Mraz.