View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
"Pete Wildoer you are a wonderful drummer. I think if there were any BIG winners from this whole thing it was you. Sure Mike got the gig, but he was already out there and capable of landing any number of things. Your ascension on the other hand comes off as something very cool. What a fantastic springboard. I can't imagine this not affecting you in a positive way. Geez you've got ridiculous skills and a whole lot of class. It's also great you're hanging around now and I hope you stick around past this little publicity surge.

As for Mangini, he decided he was going to get the gig, did the homework and got the gig...plain and simple. As for these bring your own style-not bring your own style discussions, I think its probably the wisest to do what's required to get the gig. Then once you have it and you get comfortable with the guys, then your own stuff gets in there.

I also remain amazed at how people are always going on and on about this his style fits/doesn't fit stuff. Are these people really telling me that most of the guys seen here can't play any way they want if they put their minds to it? Believe it or not, it's not just Vinnie C. There are hundreds of great drummers capable of this skillset. And Mike happens to be one of the best at it although I've remained perplexed about the kind of music that really moves him. To him I think DT is exactly where his heart is musically. But hey ...when you're a beast like that and can do so many things...more power to you.

I've seen some people already ragging on him for being overly happy about winning, But I just think that's what a superbly focused guy who sees life goals in terms of winning and losing does, whether it's DT, a Berklee appointment, WFD comps, or a game of cards. I think too many mistake that as some confused invasion of artistic principles when it's actually a whole lot more positive than that."

Well said Matt.
Thank you soo very much for your kind words, really makes me very happy!!! :-) Coming in as the underdog I hope this will give positive reactions for me. I mean the other drummers are the very elite of modern more powerful drumming and to just be mentioned among them is more than I could ever ask for!!! I'm planning to hang around here and I've been reading a lot here before but haven't posted. ;-)

I have to agree that I'm a bit bored with the ongoing discussions of what drummer is capable of what. This drummer can't play this and that drummer don't have a clue about that... To me there are two kinds of music, the stuff that I like and the stuff I like less, same goes for drummers. I have to agree though that I like most drummers as I tend to try to hear their qualities and not their weak points, ha ha ha...

Here are a couple of videos that might show that I like playing different styles:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wildoerf.../4/DcuivPThm84

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wildoerf.../2/7vli1QsK6mk

Huge congratulations to Mr. Mangini, he's more than well worth it!!! He's an amazing drummer and I think he's the perfect fit for DT. Agree, he had his mind set to get the gig and he did. Focused and well done! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnTheFloorTom View Post
I spent some time with Derek Roddy last year at the Drum Road Trip in Upstate New York. So I was super excited for him to see that he got called into audition...if for no other reason than it would be a great boon for his reputation and hopefully lead him to other great opportunities. I was rooting for him.

His post here bear out some of the philosophies we spoke about in NY...about the BUSINESS of drumming. Yes, Dream Theater is an amazing gig for a Prog/Metal player. But at what cost to the other aspects of ones life?

I agree with Derrek that a cult band like DT isn't necessarily going to be the most lucrative move for some players. Why would a guy like Lang, who charges $800 a head for his drum camp and does well with his dvd's (and is a nicely paid hired gun) want to join a band and where he now has to take on the debt involved in being a member?? It had better be BIG $$ to take on the 'band member' role rather that 'the hired gun' role.

I know lots of guys who go on tour, come home in debt and to a family who barely recognizes them. It happens...

No one wants to end up like Richie Hayward...in his 60's and sick with no medical insurance.

My point is...there were many more factors to consider for the 7 auditionees other than "when does the tour start'?

From the looks of it, the DT guys have a stable small to medium size business going for them. By contrast, when Metallica hired Rob Trujillo, they gave him A MILLION DOLLARS UP FRONT. Now we are talking!

I did enjoy the audition vids...and thought every drummer played to their strengths. All of them were phenomenal. I would have loved to hear what Virgil or Lang came up with at more length, or to hear a more extreme take that Derrek or Peter could add to DT.

I am an old school Prog fan ...ELP, YES, FLOYD...but after watching this whole process I can see why the critics back then HATED prog. So pretensions and overly dramatic!! So it is no surprise that the DT have a lot of those same qualities. But they seem like nice guys to me.

But Derrek did make me proud!!

t
First of all I have no clue what money the DT guys make. For me personally this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to live of just playing music. I've never made enough money just playing drums and have always been teaching. Don't get my wrong, I like teaching a lot, but if I was to choose between teaching math and drums five days a week and on the other hand be given the possibility of just playing with a fantastic band i would have no hard time choosing. On the other hand I know what it's like being away from my family when on tour and that is NOT FUN! But regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
This:

I don't think this is true for the guys in DT, or for most of the new school, prog metal, musicians.
If anything, they tend to classical music I'd say. Jordan Rudess was at Julliard at age 9.
DT clearly go for intriguing composition, not improvisation in the sense that jazz musicians
work on and explore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post

That is one of the interesting dichotomies here. While the old school guys often wanted to be jazz musicians and certainly grew up listening to swing, the new school guys grew up listening to the old school guys.
I can only speak for myself on this but I agree this to be something that a lot drummers endlessly discuss. I would say that if a musician want to play a specific style she/he goes for that. Most likely they won't spend years learning something they don't like. I agree that the DT guys are way closer to classical musicians than jazz musicians. Personally I've spent a lot of time practicing a lot of different styles and systems to be able to form my own hopefully fairly unique style. THAT I find way more interesting if a musician has something that is personal no matter what style of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Waterson View Post
unare of your playing till this and im VERY impressed we will be hearing a lot from you SOON

Pete I was unaware of your playing before DOH
but after this audition WOW I knew the original 4 Mike,Virgil,Thomas and Marco could pull it off but you WERE great as well.
Ill be watching for more from you and i know the bands were watching you as well
All the best
Tim
Hey Tim!

Very cool that You post here!!! I've known about you for years on the other hand, ha ha ha... ;-) Thank you soo much for your nice words and I'm glad you enjoyed my playing. I think all of the drummers would pull it off but DT found what they were looking for in Mangini. Perhaps this video clip would make you proud even though my feet are nowhere close to yours:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBeEsIt8P4