View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOnTheFloorTom View Post
Ain't that the truth! Did you read the MD interview (or was it DRUM!) where Bozzio gave all the dirt on his past gigs? He ain't no fool!! He sure would want a buy out clause when Portney inevitably returns, plus %'s of merch and the rest.

In that same article, he outlines a 'creative work environment" based on improv and jamming...rather than learning set parts that were pre-written by a composer or a past drummer.
It was DrumHead Magazine.

I could see Bozzio coming in and doing a great album, but when it came time to tour, he'd lose interest in playing all the old stuff. And touring is the bands bread and butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
wow, they're older than I thought. After I wrote it I thought oh Virgil must be well in his 40s, but I though Mangini was much younger. But Extreme were big in the 80s, weren't they? He looks good for his age. :) I am sure he has taken care of his interests as has Mike Portnoy. You don't have to be shrewd, you just have to have a shrewd agent.

Portnoy put up a video on youtube of himself and his boy playing drums. I think he is going through a midlife crisis, and I think part of it has to do with what people have been talking about. Weckl said the same thing,. He said, "when I was young playing drums for 12 hours a day, that was all that mattered. Now all that matters is my daughter."
Even the guys in Dream Theater aren't that young. Images and Words came out in 1991, that was 20 years ago.

As for Portnoy, between seeing him briefly at NAMM and the last few video interviews he's given, I've never seem him look happier. It seems being out of DT has felt liberating for him.

He has admitted over the years that he is very OCD. And so in the band, he wasn't just the drummer. He co-produced all the albums, directed all the DVDs, wrote lyrics and music, and had this insane database of every song played at every gig in every city the band had ever played at, and he would use that to write a custom set list for every night of a tour.
So it wasn't drumming that burnt him out, it was doing everything else. And I think it got the point that he just didn't know how to say, "someone else needs to handle this". So he just stopped altogether.

But for the rest of band, Tom hit it earlier. They're not Metallica. 10 million world wide sales is nothing to sneeze at, but the band needs to tour to make an income. John Petrucci said it in the first video, they built a business, and they need to keep it going.