View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Yesterday a drummer friend ( who likes DT ) said to me that he found these auditions rather demeaning ... taking some of these great players and putting em jump through hoops, curve balls and all, and televising it to the whole world wasn't classy.

A rather unique perspective, I thought.

I do believe though that these auditions will also work in favor of the careers all the other 6 drummers in the long run. No such thing as bad publicity. Specially for drummers.
Of course, no one was holding a gun to their heads, forcing them to do it. I suspect they all enjoyed themselves. And not too many (sane) people would say "Hey, I could do better" when they didn't nail everything perfectly.

The only things I would consider even vaguely disrespectful were:

1) the amount of Mike shown as compared with the others - it smelled like bias (though it could have been that Mike's intensity was good viewing) and

2) what Derek said about the drummers throwing the DT members curve balls that they couldn't deal with, yet none of this was shown in the vids. If you show someone else with their pants down you have to be prepared to do it yourself.

On the other hand, it's a credit to DT that almost everyone said they almost immediately felt comfortable playing with them.