View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Yes, but we're talking about the music business. People pay big money for their expectations to be met. They love the old DT standards and they're hanging out to hear the hero fill at the end of the bridge or whatever. To mess with it would almost be akin to Phil Collins improvising the signature fill of In the Air. No one's going to mess with the da-da-da-das in Beethoven's 5th either. To avid fans I expect those MP parts are simply part of the song..
Yes, and as Bernard said, people have a penchant for air drumming the signature fills in Dream Theater songs. Dream Theater is a cult band, and many of the fans are loyal and probably have spend weeks worth of time listening to the CDs.

I just did a clinic om early rock n roll and a big part of my presentation was grooves and where they came from. I talk about the Tommy Igoe stuff and a lot of drummers including prominent ones say, "how can you play the same beat over and over?"