View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Mostly I was caught by the reference made by Petrucci that they picked up on interest in Lange from forums. I've always felt that more people read these things than care to admit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
@ everyone else: did you guys see the part where Petrucci said he went on Forums to find out about drummers, and that's how he found Land, and others, etc? I thought these guys, being the the kick ass musicians that they are, touring around the world, etc, they would know all about all the best drummers out there. But no, they had to do what any mortal would do, like myself when I started drumming 6 months ago: come in here and hear all about Thomas Lang, JoJo mayer, etc.
I mentioned in another thread Dream Theater were one of the first bands to really embrace the internet.

Back in the mid-90's, when most people were still on dial up and using AOL, you could actually go on AOL to their Dream Theater board and post back and forth with Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Mike's sister, and their former vocalist Charlie Dominici. Everyone in the band had an AOL account, so you know they all read what was being said, even if not every member posted.

I remember the first time Portnoy replied to a post I made! I had made a comment about Mike being slightly off at the start of one of their songs the night before, and he replied I was indeed correct, that his monitor had gone out right then and he couldn't hear the song intro. At the time, I was pretty floored the band could be do down to earth to just chat with fans like that online.

So, it really doesn't surprise me Petrucci would use forums to find information.