View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Not at all....actually it was quite the opposite. I was really comfortable around them and with the "process".

The whole thing with all us guys audition footage is....you're seeing 5 minutes (of what some editor thinks.... is creating "drama" for reality TV)
What you didn't see are the 2 hours and 55 minutes of kick ass jams, tunes played exact, etc......

Another thing that needs to be considered in my case is.....
I auditioned for DT because I was asked.......not because I wanted to be the new DT drummer.
Too much commitment for me to stop what I have going on in my life.
I have a snake collection (over 100 animals) that has generated more income than DT would be able to pay me.

This drum thing is fun and all but, it doesn't make up even half of my yearly income.
For me to consider that gig....meant I had to move out of a really big passion (and security) to do something......I've done already (touring) and am doing still through education and my own projects.

One of the questioned asked by RR was "how would getting this gig change your life"

My answer was....."I'm not looking to change my life."

Cheers,
D
I was watching an interview with Dave Matthews where he was saying music is not about financial success. It is about doing what you love to do, and if it means you have to work at the local cafe, so be it. If you are lucky enough to make money doing it, that's great. But if you are doing it just for the money, you are in it for the wrong reason. Obviously, for you this was an interesting audition but for Mike, Marco and Virgil, it seems like they really want this gig.

I think that level of commitment is a good thing to bring to an audition, not only because it lets the serious auditioner know that you are serious, it also let's the flighty auditioner know that he better be serious. :) I know in the past I was not given the gig because I was too serous and those bands never got out of the studio. I remember once the guy at the board remembered me years later when I saw him out and about, he remembered my audition, and said you were good. I told him I really wanted to be in that band, but they never called, what ever happened to them. he said , oh they still come into the studio now and again.