View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Singers and their equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
So...which is it? Are the microphones part of the "communal" PA, or does each person have to pitch in for all of the mics? Why would the singer have to pay for their own mic if the drum set mics are paid for by the band fund? Or rather, it doesn't seem fair that the drummer would have to pay for ALL of their mics, if the singer only has to pay for one...

In my experience, the PA is owned by one person--usually the person in charge of the band, but sometimes by one of the band members. Whoever owns the PA gets a "rental" cut of the paycheck, since they have to bring so much extra gear for use by the entire band. Often times, that's me! :D
Yeah, no doubts there's some confusion there. But I've always looked at it pretty simplistcally.

Short answer: each member should have the tools to enable them to do their job. If the singer doesn't have a mic to plug in to an existing PA, they should get one....at their own cost as it's what they require to get the job done. If the entire band needs a PA, the entire band covers the cost. A mic to a singer is like a drumstick to a drummer.....if you as an individual are lacking the tools to do your particular job, then you need to get that aspect sorted out.

I can't remember the last singer I played with who didn't show up with his own mic.....whether they were provided by the venue or not.