View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

For those who like to quote that old saw about music not being a competition, take a good look at what's going on here. Yep once you're in the music it's a collective. But you sure better be ready to compete to get into that non competitive collective.

Look, for whatever you want to say about Mangini musical preferences, have you ever seen a more focused competitor? There he was in that hotel room already putting his game face on, determining strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, technique, musicality quotients of each and every band member. Then on top of that he was already seeing himself fitting 100% musically into the equation..not just...This would be a nice home for me...a cool thing etc. It was this amazingly intense focused thing that I've always admired about the guy. Then when that was over he was synthesizing the personal dynamic to give everybody in the band just the right amount of comfort. He even went so far as to consider what would be required to enhance his "first up" audition placement. If that isn't competition I don't know what is.

I was especially taken in by that first hotel face shot where you see him talking himself into having the gig. Then he puts the hat on and doesn't seem to take it off. I'll bet he went to sleep wearing that hat. And before somebody runs over to tell me I shouldn't analyze the personality thing...I think this very publicly released video allows for just that...and with their permission.

I remember that game face of his very well back in the old comp days and I thought it was a kind of psych out thing. Apparently it's also a very beneficial self motivational tool that if observed and respected could help get lot of people through whatever door they chose to enter.