View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Some unfortunate things as a Teenager... READ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
That this young man may be being treated poorly is possible. I ran away at 8 for a bloody good reason. I was worried about my survival. Parents and certainly step parents can be monsters.

As far as I can see there are two obvious choices. 1, visit the authorities. But this entails its own problems. 2, run away.

I ran to the bush. But I had already learned how to hunt and fish. I was lucky. I also had a pristine country to escape within. And a slack government that never cared to chase me. This was 1972 Australia after all.

Were I to run away today I would call cattle stations and search out jackaroo positions where a live in position was offered. There must be something like this in the US.
I'm sorry for what you had to go thru but I can't see telling any kid to run away as a good idea. If there really is a problem, he needs to reach out to someone...police, social services, guidance counselor or teacher at school, friends parents, someone. I worked as a School Resource Officer in the schools for 4 years and I know every kid who came to me with a problem was taken seriously. There was more than once I called social services to do a check and make sure the child was safe so I know there are people out there willing to help.

Running away, as you most certainly know, can cause horrible problems within itself. I surely hope he finds any help he needs and someone who can guide him in the right direction.