Thread: Custom veneer
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Custom veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Eddie, I do follow the markets and I used them to my advantage a couple of years ago.

The fact is, the Pound is still strong enough to make Exports difficult. The loss of manufacturing base has affected many things and one of them is the viability of English exports - and that's not just to do with the Pound (although much of it is) but everything else that has been happening in the economy for the last forty of so years. Exports are reasonable now, but the drum market is highly saturated with cheaper options.

So, Premier have historically struggled to make their high-end kits for foreign markets. I love Premier drums, but it's not an easy time for them.
What and you think I haven't? The fact is that all western nations have suffered because of things like "workers rights" getting in the way of making things for as cheaply as possible for export. Yes, the costs of producing something in the uk are slightly more than a lot of other western countries but i think all that pales in comparison with the difference in production costs between here and somewhere like china for example.
People have this misconception that nothing is made in Britain any more- which couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, it's not 1900 any more but the fact is that for many premium and high value goods such as upmarket and custom drums can still be built viably in England and the massive drop in the pound over the last few years has been a big boom for exports.

EHs Music Facebook Page