View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
I don't think any of those guys were systematically constructed by the industry like a Bieber, Rihanna or Lil Wayne. They were all no different from the rest of their band members when the started out. Although I am not really sure how Petty came about. I think he was a studio musician and eventually got noticed as a good artist in the LA studio scene of the 1970s. None of them were snatched up by record producers and had horribly simplistic automated music built around them, that's for sure.
That was exactly my point. They sold a lot of records because their music was good, not because they were "pretty". I can't imagine they would have a very good shot at success in this day and age. Same goes for guys like Getty Lee and Bob Dylan. Bon Jovi is one of the few acts that combined good looks with good music. I think the hair bands of the MTV era changed a lot of this, as people wanted to see the glamour look, where guys did their best to look like girls.

Same goes for politics nowadays. People are looking for rock stars to be their leaders. It's really a sad commentary on society.