View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I don't think it's an aesthetic thing. I think it's because of the 'me too' saturation factor as much as anything else. The first time I really heard Led Zeppelin, I was fourteen. I loved it, I thought it was great. I listened to them intermittently for years and then it reached a critical mass when I realised that it was like wallpaper. It was everywhere, all the time and I couldn't get away from it. That really frustrated me and put me right off them for a while. Now, I can appreciate it - but I don't enjoy it viscerally like I used to. That's got as much to do with the 'me too' attitude of a lot of crap bands ever since (once again, I reference Wolfmother) and the fact that it's lauded over ad nauseam.

It doesn't make them a bad band - it just makes them overexposed. And that really kills a lot of music for me.
Me too. If I listen to any Zep today (which is not too often), it's songs like In The Light, No Quarter, Tangerine, Out on the Tiles, In My Time of Dying and others that were never played over ad nauseum on the radio. In Texas, back in the 1960s and early 1970s we actually got underground radio from Mexico that played complete albums and very cutting edge artists that were never played on pop stations in the states. They called it outlaw radio like what Jim Morrison sang about, but soon the radios in the states caught on and started what they called "album rock". Many of them mimicked the outlaw stations and played very cutting edge music. One I used to listen to played Kraftwerk's Autobahn album regularly back in 1975, which was unusual - a German language album broadcast in the cactus and mesquites of South Texas, lol. But it was these stations that developed cult followings that the old time producers never understood, and like Zappa said in his interview that was up earlier in this thread, a bunch of younger hippie generation so called experts took the management of these stations over and they started playing a lot of singles off of what used to be an entire album. This was when I recall hearing a lot of Zeppelin (Black Dog, Rock and Roll, etc) getting played over and over again. But this was when it seemed that a lot of what were album artists like Zep, Pink Floyd, ELP, Clapton in all of his forms, Jethro Tull, etc literally started to saturate the rock market and transformed from being innovative artists to pop artists. Queen went into that movement head first, and they went from rock anthems like Great King Rat, Keep Yourself Alive, and Liar to pop songs like We Are The Champions and Fat Bottomed Girls. Artists like the Rolling Stones and Elton John were always content being on Pop radio, but these guys were literally dragged into it, as those album rock stations evolved into pop stations. KISS came along at the end of the arena rock era, like Pete Frampton, and I always kind of considered them the forefathers of the Big Hair Rock era.