View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
1) There wasn't a lot of traditional singing going on here. It was a combination of talking, shouting back and forth, and chanting (usually ad nauseum).

2) All the vocals were heavily modified using echo, compression and whatever that program is that they use to modulate and alter the tone (Cher used it on Do You Believe in Love). The "computerized" voices grated on me after about 2 minutes.

3) The songs had no real structure to them. There was no intro, verse, chorus, middle eight, chorus, out, etc. Seemed like the repitiion goes on until the engineer decides to fade out the end of the song. I imagine this is because the primary reason for these songs is to dance to in a club or a party. The way we danced in the 70's/80's bears no resemblance to how you would dance to this music.

4) Out of about 20 songs, I only found one that sounded like it had real drums in it. The rest had clicks, snaps, and real loud bass booms that kept the beat. Some synthesizers (sampling, no doubt), no piano, no guitar.
1. Correct. Like all those great nursery rhymes we learned when we were kids. Add some sports crowd chanting, and you're pretty much on track.

2. Auto-Tune. It makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. The thought going through my head when I hear an artist with Auto-Tune is: are they going for the effect, or is that "singer" so off, they're just there because they can then market the music to tween boys/girls?

3. The form of hip-hop songs these days is thus:

the chorus, or these days called "the hook" followed by a "verse"
then the hook again, then another verse
then the hook, then another verse, or some cases a bridge
then the hook, usually twice, and fade usually, so the DJ can beat cut one tempo into the next as a seamless transition

4. Correct. And if it's not synthesized drums, it's "sound replacement." Basically you can take, for ex. Steve Gadd hitting a drum once. Then a different drum. Then a snare. Take all of those samples and arrange them electronically. Voila! You have Steve Gadd on your track, and he never physically played one note of your song. And you did not have to pay him triple scale to play the session. In addition to Gadd, I believe there is Vinnie, JR Robinson, Russ MIller, Chad Wackerman sound replacement kits. Sound samples with these drummers just playing drums and some grooves, and insert to your hearts content.

Sounds kinda scary, doesn't it?