Thread: Show your wood
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
I am astounded at your craftsmanship. Would you mind sharing a little on your technique? The shell is a tongue and groove, is it put together as sectioned octagon and then put on a lathe to turn it round?

I have asked questions of drum builders before and never get answers, I find it odd, even if they shared their build secrets, it still takes equipment and great knowledge and experience to still pull it off, so not sure what the big deal is.
Anyhow, amazing work.
Thanks man! Yep you guessed it. Glued and lathed. Depending on the timber, I sometimes source the shells from another secret supplier :P it's easier but a lot more expensive!

All bearing edges are routered. All holes by bench drill. All measuring by hand. I work on only a few drums at a time and I kinda treat each snare like my own. Keep my tolerances low and my customers happy!

You'd be surprised how easy it is if you're willing to put in a bit of time, effort and some money. But I'm sure some companies don't want to give away "secrets" because they have put many many hours and money into research and development to make a great sounding drum. To give someone else their R and D can cost them a lot of money. That's more than likely why they are a bit hesitant.

ALTERNATIVELY! Good old YouTube would be your best source of info because now there is loads of it posted on there :)