View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

One of my favourite protest songs, Tom Robinson Band's Power in the Darkness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPouip93yBE (sadly, I can't find the full studio version). The track was a hit in 1978.

It's hard to imagine such an overtly political song being a hit today. Same with Midnight Oil's various hits - Power and the Passion (even including a drum solo), Short Memory and Beds are Burning.

Today's world has the same old gunk as yesteryear, just that the corporations are taking over from the government as our Fat Controllers. Many western governments are now little more than instruments of major corporations.

I think that's why protest songs aren't hits any more - the gatekeepers are now also our owners - and they are touchy:
A 37-year-old English bank worker has been fired after she compared her $11-an-hour wage to her CEO's $6250-an-hour salary on Facebook.

Essex woman Stephanie Bon was working as an HR assistant for Lloyds Banking Group when she saw her new chief executive's $21m salary announced on the news.

She then went on Facebook and posted: "LBG's new CEO gets 4000 an hour. I get 7. That's fair."

Miss Bon was fired from her job the next day after being told she had put the company down.

"My team leader asked me why I was writing things like that," Miss Bon said. Then my manager came in and said she was disappointed in me. She said I was putting the company down. But I did not write anything that was controversial."

Lloyds has denied Miss Bon's firing had anything to do with Facebook.

A spokesman for the bank said she was employed on a short-term contract and the work she had been employed to do had finished and so she was given her notice.

Miss Bon remains defiant, saying she has been treated "appallingly" for what "essentially amounts to a chat with mates outside work".

The salary of new Lloyds boss Antonio Horta-Osorio was revealed last week. The Portuguese banker will receive as much as $21m in salary, bonuses and other benefits this year.
I don't think too many would have predicted that the function of Orwell's thought police would have been privatised!