Thread: American Idol
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: American Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
There is no "Judging" or even realistic critique going on here. At least twice I've seen J-Lo visibly wince when a singer blew a note and then told the kid they nailed the song. Come on. Simon was tough on these kids but most of the time his criticism was dead on. If they had real judges giving real critiques of the performances most of the public wouldn't "get it". I now hear people using the term "pitchy" when they don't have a clue as to what that means. How about phrasing, nailing attacks, etc. nobody in the typical TV viewing audience knows about that or cares. They just have favorites and vote for them based on their own personal biases. Randy probably has the closest thing to credentials at judging this stuff but he won't do it. J-Lo is eye candy who loves everyone. Steven is uhmmm, not sure what he is. They should have Don Was doing the judging his short segments at least show him working with these kids on their strenghts and weaknesses. Harry Connick was a very good guest mentor on last years show. He told the truth to the kids but did it in a constructive way.
Couple things here that I agree with.

1) I thought I was the only one who felt that way about J-lo. There have been so many times this year where someone gives a dreadful performance and as the camera pans to the judges table, I start thinking "Oh, man. Here it comes!" But it never does! It's like no one can do any wrong in their eyes. To further add to it, I thought Pia's performance last night was clearly the best, but when it got the judges, they were picking it apart! Really? Really, same group who said Pauls performance was "outstanding"? This is what separates the show with Simon Cowell and the show sans Simon Cowell. Either it's rigged or no one has the testicular fortitude to lay it down, I don't get it.
2) Harry was not only hilarious, but he had some great advice too. Instead we get treated to Marc Anthony who just hams it up for the camera and, honestly.... kind of acts like he's on drugs.
3) What the crap is Steven Tyler even talking about half the time? God love him, but there's no way he'll be back next year. He's far too spacey. You can totally see him brain fart in the middle of sentence and have a mini freak-out trying to regain himself. Poor guy.