View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

It is interesting the sliding floor of contradictions and myths that creep up into the conversation. If King Crimson is pop, then it goes to demonstrate the original thesis that most pop music is crap because it's not as edgy as Crim, it's not in 9/8, doesn't use any interesting textures or it's not experimental. Prog was popular back in the day because there was an new outlet to highlight it in FM radio. But the growing popularity of punk and the nostalgia for simpler time of girl bands, garage rock and simple ABA songs was fast encroaching. So even back then, there were a lot of people who were not happy with that music. Of course, Am radio was still replete with Billy don't Be a Hero, and Love Will Keep Us together pop ditties that monopolized the mindset of the many, the many now stuck in American idol oblivion waiting for American next big band or dance company.

I remember listening to Carole King's Tapestry a few years back for the first time since it came out and thinking man those ABA forms really get tiring after you hear a few of them. I never tired of hearing a good pop song like those mentioned; but not as nauseum. It is amazing to me however, that so many seem to not be able to go a day without hearing Stairway to Heaven of Bohemian Rhapsody. I think FM radio has done more to stifle its generation than emancipate it.

But now the mass proliferation of music that we have with the internet should leave no one complaining. I've been hearing for ten years now about how in a few years it's all going to break and something is going to happen. That is the first myth. it ain't happening if YOU are not making it happen. What the internet promises is an easier connection to information and the music you love. But it hasn't rid the world of pop oblivion and it won't any time soon. Peeps in power ain't given up that ride any time soon.