View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_fan_5@hotmail.com View Post
There is no way Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull can be considered pop!!
There was a time when I would have said exactly the same thing.

However, about 5-6 years ago I had a liaison with an experimental music buff and former member of a fairly prominent noise group (as far as noise groups can be prominent :) One time I was playing one of Crimson's oblique instrumentals and he described it as "melodic music" in the way someone would say "Spice Girls".

So when ken said "Many people would classify it as pop", the only thing I'd take issue with is "many". IMO "some" would have been more accurate ... unless you're thinking like certain tribes whose numbering system consists of 1 - 2 - 3 - many :)

I read that some members of Henry Cow were dirty about Crimson being lauded as "experimental" and "pioneers of rock improvisational music" when Cow did it before them. Probably Soft Machine too. To them, the "popular" group took all the credit.

BTW, I missed to 90s too but I did enjoy Nivana's, Peal Jam's and Tool's hits, along with a fair bit of stuff on the indie radio station at the time.