View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
And I can buy that.

But at the same time, you're making my point exactly.

It was experimental, with in a defined context. After all, there are only 12 notes in Western Music. Near endless combinations of said notes, but still, (nearly) everyone in our culture from the dark ages to Rebecca Black are using the same 12 notes to create, be it "new" or "recycled" musical ideas.

Unless you're pulling sounds out of thin air, everything has some level of precedent. As you pointed out, how much precedent determines level of experimentation. But at the same, precedent IS STILL there.

As you very well explained (thank you for that), it is the level of precedent, which automatically makes it relative. And because it is relative, there is no clear line in the sand. You can draw one, but it's still a relative line.

Pink Floyd had a relative level of experimentation. You can argue it was NOT the same level of experimentation as Beethoven, due to different levels of precedent, but you can't just say this is and this is not, when it is a relative measurement to be determined based on context. And different context gives you different results.
Well, you bought it when he explained it, which you did very well, thanks Duncan. Well, it was your point to begin with.

I think that what is revealing is that INOG listed a good dozen bands, none of which came into being after 1980. What about Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Muse, or some of the more mainstream pop bands like Blur, Coldplay or Doves. MFB would know better, I'm sure. Has music stopped since 1978, or was it 1984 as Orwell put forth. After all didn't The Police break up then. If you listen to a lot of American music stations, you may actually believe that, and that is the problem, not the defense. I won't deny that time was a fertile period in Brit popular music. But I would venture to say that the recordings of Porcupine Tree and Radiohead are just as 'inventive' and interesting as anything that came out of that period.

And, we are talking about pulling sounds out of thin air. :)