View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Thought I might chime in on this thread and give everyone another thing to think about.

What do you think folks of the early 1900's thought when they heard things like The Rolling Stones, The Talking Heads, and Jimi Hendrix? In sum, Rock n' Roll. They had been listening to blues, country, swing, big band, and things along those lines. Not too intense. Sure big band and swing are pretty upbeat, but those emphasize on horns, not loud guitar and yelling vocals. Loud guitar solos, yelling vocals, strange wacky performances, blazing fast drums, shirtless young men: These were all fairly new concepts to them. Just as "fake" sounds, drum loops, auto-tune, and music computer programming are fairly new concepts to us. Many of the 1900 generation didn't accept the changes, just as we don't accept modern pop. And likewise, in both occurrences, the young generation (1940-1950/1990-2000) was very much into the new concepts. The two are very much related.

With this information, we can determine an outcome for our current music scene, based on what happened after rock n' roll. Look at all the brilliant styles that branched from rock: Funk, Metal, Progressive, Modern Jazz, Latin Rock, Punk. The list goes on.

We don't have to be appreciative of this new modern pop, however we can anticipate that with these new ideas, though they may be bad, we may see new ideas and even new genre's emerging, that may not be as shallow as modern pop.
I know it's bad form to quote oneself but this side of things was acknowledged a while ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
What I've wondered about is how there can be passion for music so lacking in depth. I admit to old fartism. That classic distorted brass sound you hear in lots of techno drives me as batty as distorted electric guitars drove my father's generation. The relentless of the doofs, whose low frequencies drive their way though any number of walls ... ugh!

I thought I'd become one of those "cool" old people who'd remain open to the music of the next generation. But I hate doof doof techno, abrasive machine gun metal and most rap. Well done, Gens Y and Z. Ya got me. Touché :)
People are changing so the music is changing. Music of the information age is, not surprisingly, being increasingly driven by data.

Ken, interesting stuff, as usual. As for Cage's democratisation of music - there seems to be a constant push/pull with this. Rock'n'roll, punk and rap were all designed to democratise music so that playing music would be within reach of the unwashed. Marx probably would have had something to say about it!