View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Yes, but you are generalising and making it seem like that is the be all for everyone by directly contradicting yourself when you say that 'the music is hollow'. Hollow to you, perhaps, but then again 70's Arena Rock is horribly hollow to me, whereas Japanese Onkyokei is incredibly rich.

Do you not see the inherent hypocrisy of your argument?
Perhaps "hollow" is the wrong word. The fact is that today's pop music doesn't stir my soul, cause me to start singing or jump up and dance. Yes, this is a generalization. There are a handful of songs that I've heard recently that are somewhat catchy or innovative. The rest just seem to drone on or actually hurt my ears.

And no, I did not like all 70's arena rock or music from the 80's. I hated disco when it first came out, but have grown to appreciated some of it many years later.

But would I rather hear Journey's Separate Ways with Steve Smith playing drums, or Kanye West Gold Digger? The answer is pretty obvious.

It's not that I don't like pop music. I've loved many top 40 songs, from Three Dog Night to Hall and Oates to The Go Gos (first song I practiced drums to was My Lips Are Sealed) to The Spice Girls to even Britney Spears' early material. I enjoy acts like Kelly Clarkson and My Chemical Romance. But I just can't seem to connect with most of the other newer stuff.

It is what it is.