View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Are you really going to pull out the relativism trump card?
Me? Not at all.

That would be pointless. We all know there's a lot of total crap out there and much of what inneedofgrace is describing is inherent in a lot of really terrible music - music that's objectively terrible. On the other hand, making sweeping generalisations about the nature of synthesised sound has nothing to do with whether or not the music is good or bad - Bermuda got it spot on. It's music - it's good or bad, but that's not because of the sounds that go into it necessarily, there's a lot more to it than that.

Do you really think I'd play the 'well, that's just your opinion, man card? Christ, you know me better than that.

Cage was saying something though, wasn't he? And it wasn't necessarily in the content of the piece, but existed outside of it. Cage was a theorist as much as anything else - so is Alvin Lucier and even Merzbow. Music isn't always about the sonic content. Cage has gravitas because of what he was saying about the state of music - Beethoven was creating music for the sake of music. You should know all about the opposing schools of thought on this and that's been covered by far more qualified people.